Resources & Advice

Complex Care Funding

Figuring out how you’re going to fund your care can be just as important as finding the right provider.

If you need financial help to pay for your care needs, you may be eligible for funding from either the NHS or your local authority.

To determine who may be responsible for funding your care, you will need to go through an assessment. This will divide your care needs into either ‘health’ care needs or ‘social’ care needs. Following assessment, if the majority of your care needs are determined as ‘health’ related you should be eligible for NHS continuing healthcare funding. If they are determined as being ‘social’ related you may be eligible for local authority funding.

NHS funding – continuing healthcare (CHC)

NHS continuing healthcare is the name given to a package of care which is arranged and funded solely by the NHS for individuals who have ongoing physical or mental health care requirements and have been assessed as having a “primary health need”. You can receive NHS continuing healthcare in any setting, including your own home. The care you receive will be provided free of charge.

For most people considering applying for NHS continuing healthcare, the first place to start is by asking your GP, a hospital discharge team, or someone else closely involved in your healthcare, to arrange for an assessment to be done to determine your eligibility.